Web Refactoring into Testability Workshop
In this workshop, expert Scott Davis (Web Architect and Developer Advocate, ThoughtWorks) brings the engineering rigor of Refactoring to an existing, perfectly functional website -- a website that works now, but might give anyone pause if they were tasked with adding some new functionality to it. The website is what Scott affectionately calls "20th Century Idiomatic" -- "page-centric" if one is feeling charitable; "monolithic" and "pathologically global" if less so.
Join Scott as he brings 21st Century web development practices and programming to the "internal structure" of the website -- web components and custom events; templates and shadow DOM; -- and modern testing tools -- Gauge and Taiko -- that "make it easier to understand and cheaper to modify without changing its observable behavior".
What you'll learn-and how you can apply it
By the end of this live, hands-on, online course, you’ll understand:
- Refactoring and Testing strategies
- HTML5 Custom Elements, Shadow DOM, HTML Templates, Custom Events
- Free and open-source testing tools like Gauge and Taiko
And you’ll be able to:
- Refactor a monolithic website into one based on framework-free, standards-based Web Components
- Learn about modern testing strategies and tools
This training course is for you because...
- You're a web developer
- You work with standards-based HTML5 technologies
- You want to become a better front-end web developer
- We will be writing very little code from scratch. Most exercises involve rearranging existing code, finished labs will be provided for each exercise.
- Have NodeJS 10.x or higher installed on your local machine.
- Use npm to download and install Taiko and Gauge.
- Download or clone the GitHub repository link and bookmark the live demo website URL.